[Ansteorra-archery] An Idea from an Old Fart was Re: Royal Huntsman - Special Tourney Rules***

Bill Tait arwemakere at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 14:52:00 PST 2012

Comments interspersed..

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Ld.blackmoon <ld.blackmoon at cox.net> wrote:

> greetings
>
> which is why it may be time to look at discussion on separating the two
> communities .
> the combat archers have spent years trying to grow their community, to get
> away from the " target archery " image ,to earn the respect of the heavy
> weapons community.
> yes , a lot of combat archers come from the target archery community , but
> by no means all of them do.
> while they have grown greatly in number,and their level of respect among
> ansteorran heavy communities has risen greatly , they are still not often
> given the acclaim and word fame that say spearmen , or shield men are
> accorded.

Most spearmen or shieldmen get no acclaim ('specially not shieldmen,
they're the line fodder). It's only the ones who are exceptional at what
they do. So too with the CA. If you're just putting sticks in the air, and
hitting a few people, you won't be noticed. You really don't even have to
kill a lot of people to get recognition from the rattan crowd. Just make a
few that count; save the Queen from an incoming bad guy, hold the sally
port until help arrives...

> this seems to have led to the combat archery community falling back on the
> target archers for support , which puts them right back in the " target
> archery " image they have been fighting to avoid.
> while they are on the field of war surrounded by knights, and crowns, and
> other heavy weapons fighters , they are given ample opportunities to shine
> and display their skill ( how many kingdoms have plate is proof, or face
> shot only rules ?? )

Plate is proof is a West Kingdom thing. Face only is Estrella (NOT a CA
friendly war by any stretch). Neither rule is aimed at helping archers
"show their skill". They are intended to make it harder to be killed by an
archer because we are a minority who can kill a majority.

> they deserve all the word fame anyone can give them, I know I couldn't hit
> a four inch square at 30 yards on a moving target with what safety allows
> for combat archery equipment . as has been stated , its a whole different
> skill set, different mind set, etc.

It doesn't have to be. Your mind and body just have to be quick to adapt to
a changed set of parameters. For years I handicapped myself by believing I
could not shoot target and combat at the same event, let alone the same
day. I have proven to myself that I was incorrect. (Now, I cannot shoot
combat then Olympic recurve within a couple days of each other. I'm not
going to try to bridge THAT gap either)

> in ansteorra, the royal huntsman tourney has traditionally been the only
> time many crowns set foot on a range, and spend most of one whole day
> watching the target archers.
> who are called on at war to do things like team up with another archer,(
> with out prior practice teaming ) and while one shoots the balloon, the
> other has to put an arrow in the picture frame to stop it from falling
> after the balloon is hit .......

K, that wasn't a RH tournament. That was a Grand Exhibition Tourney at GW.
That was the last I competed in because of shoots like that. Not sure if
you noticed that I withdrew from the competition...

> or spend an entire day running the ranges, or compete with other kingdoms
> best archers .
>
> is there a simple answer ? someone smarter than I may know, but perhaps by
> politely discussing the possibilities, we can come to some kind of
> agreement on what might work ,and then suggest it to the crowns for further
> thought ???
>
> Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
> Arthur

William