[Ansteorra-archery] loaner bows being brought to Lady of the Lake?

Frank Schalles francisschalles at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 11:14:52 PDT 2012

  Archers!

The Lady of the Lake event was well attended and much fun was had by all!
If you did not attend you missed a GREAT event! And the Feast was hearty
and tasty! We had attractive belly dancers whom used Scimitars in their
dancing during the feast!

We wish to thank the Shire of Adlersruhe, and in particular Lords Wilkin
and Albin for their generosity and help to Bonwicke Archery.
We now have 6 more bows to use for practice, and the experience of a unique
Archery shoot!

The archery contest consisted of a reverse ring shoot, a 5 card stud shoot,
a name shoot, a triangle shoot, a bug shoot, a William Tell shoot, and an
arrow spacing shoot. If I remember correctly (there was alot of SUN), we
had 10 archers participating.

During the mid-day break The Baron of Bonwicke and others tried their hand
at shooting and did well. The Baron was quite good, so don't let him tell
you that he only is good at heavy fighting!

We were taught the proper way to marshal an archery competition, and what
to look for in the way of range layout, safety concerns including damaged
bows, arrows, and strings.

Many of us lost arrow points to the target butt, but no arrows were lost.
We experienced a delaminated bow during the shoot, and Lord Albin had to
continue the shoot handicapped by using a longbow he was unfamiliar with,
which gave the rest of us an advantage.

There were many excellent Archers present, and luck played a large part in
determining the ultimate winner. I confess that is was a lucky bug shot
that added points to my score, that enabled me to be
winner. There were better archers there than I, and I am humble before
them, and I hope that next year, I can be more worthy to carry the Dragon
Quiver of Adlersruhe.

Vivat Adlersruhe! Vivat Bonwicke! Vivat Ansteorra!

In Service,
Francois de Lions