[Ansteorra-archery] Need Help in Bonwicke

Susan McMahill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 12 10:03:27 PDT 2012

Milord,
Congratulations on your efforts to restore archery to Bonwicke. I hope that you have much success.
modern bows with fiberglass limbs are indeed allowed in competitions, if the competitions are not limited to period only equipment. Most are open to all as we recognize that archery can be a very expensive hobby and that beginners, especially are likely to go through several poundages of bows before they stabilize in ability and strength. Archers are encouraged to work toward more period equipment, but some will continue to use modern recurves or fiberglass longbows or horsebows for all of their SCA shooting.
Royal rounds are the basic shoots that establish skill levels and 'standings' of a sort, for those who chose to participate in them. These are broken into open and period categories for both bow and crossbow. In the open categories, you may use fiberglass or composite bows, plastic nocks on your arrows, etc. no modern sights are permitted, and of course, no compound bows. "training wheels" are not permitted at any time. We also require feather fletches on arrows and wooden shafts. If someone shows up with metal or graphite arrows with plastic vanes at a practice, it is up to the marshal's discretion as to whether that person can participate, however most that I know will allow someone to shoot practice, however no scores may be reported to the Keeper of the Royal Rounds, and the person will be encouraged to get wooden-shafted, feather-fletched arrows.
Period equipment must be true to period materials and techniques. Arrows must have self nocks and feather fletches which may be glued, glued and tied, etc.
There is no limit on poundage for target archery bows, but considering that ranges may have limited size, it is again up to the marshal to decide if the site is conducive to the distance that an arrow can go from a higher powered bow. In theory, an archer that pulls a high powered bow should be an experienced archer and not miss the target very often, but everyone has an off day once in a while, and an arrow from any bow can go a considerable distance. One from a 75# bow that is overshot can be a serious hazard for a looong distance.
Our kingdom does not warrant archers. We do warrant marshals, however. you will need to make contact with your regional marshal and he/she will b able to let you know about any marshals in your area that might be willing to train you as an archery marshal. This should take a few days to weeks or months depending on how often you can work together, and how quickly you pick up the skills involved and pick up and retain the knowledge required in setting up and marshalling a range, scoring, reporting, etc. As part of Central Region, your Regional Missile Marshall is HL Katya. Her contact information is in the Blackstar and also on the Archery Marshallate page http://marshal.ansteorra.org/archery/
Combat archery is a "whole 'nother animal." There are limitations for poundage and arrows and bolts are made to very specific requirements. Wooden shafts are absolutely forbidden. These requirements change fairly frequently so it is necessary to keep up with the latest information. Check out the Missile Combat rules on the Manuals/Reference section of the same web address I gave you above.
I hope that this information helps you out.
In Service,
Lyneya de Grey
Holder of the Sable Talon for Target ArcheryKing's ArcherPast Central Regional Missile MarshalStudent to HL Jaque the Spink, Arc d'Or

Well-behaved women Seldom make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich