[Ansteorra-archery] Raven'sFort Archery Competition

Gary Pace ridgetop121 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 07:02:26 PDT 2012

 Greeting to all who shoot,  whatever the reason,
    Being one with an arrow or "thumper" and striking a target the
size of a bulls eye or moving helm is indeed challenging.
    As archers, our persona's dictate what type of archery we
participate in. Some shoot only target or combat, while others shoot
both for sport and in defense of Ansteorra. No matter, all are invited
to display their skills with the bow, to become Raven's Fort's Bowman
of the Fort.
   Our Champion, Lord Plachoya is well seasoned in both target and
combat archery. He has decided that his challenge to archers embrace
both target and combat archery skill.
   As a Baron to Their Majesties, my 14th century persona in the
ciy-state of Florence somewhat reflects my position of the time.
During this time period, some Italian city-states required all
citizens to be proficient with a crossbow in order to defend their
city-state. In England, I understand that all men had to practice
every Sunday with a longbow.
   I honor my fealty to the Crown, Raven's Fort's populace and
hopefully the archery community, by shooting combat archery. I am far
from being proficient but enjoy the challenge of combat. Hitting a
moving target at 20 or more yards or closer/ farther, the size of a
helm, or stepping into a hole in the line to face a charging, well
armored heavy and placing an arrow in a crease of an opening a few
inches wide along the edge of their shield just before they strike, is
exhilarating. Shooting with-in the din of a battle, missles of all
sizes flying, commands being yelled out, polemen poking at ones head,
is awesome to me. At fifty eight, I take the field in defense of
Ansteroria and to honor my Baroness. It is my persona.
   I realize that some archers have their own persona's and reasons
for participating. We all enjoy the Dream in our own way.
  We ask that Raven's Fort Champion stretch themselves with both
target and combat equipment. No one will be attacking you. The
question is can you accurately shoot both a combat "thumper" and a
target arrow ?
   Please know that we encourage all to participate. As  things now
stand, Archery includes both Combat and Target. We look forward to
seeing everyone there having a great time.
   I want to thank Lord Plachoya for his participation and dedication.
In service to the Dream,
Lord Pasquale Pace, Baron of Raven's Fort