[Ansteorra-archery] Period-ness, when is a bow not period due to the string?

Susan McMahill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 17 04:18:36 PDT 2013

While I was Central Regional Missile Marshal, I discovered that fewer and fewer archers wanted to shoot Royal Rounds because they didn't want to have scores that would indicate that they could not participate in 'Novice' Tournaments. One of the requirements for many of those events were that a person have a RR score of 40 or less. Now, when we do the novice tourney at Steppes Warlord, that is one of the requirement, but we also appeal to one's sense of honor. If you would be capable of shooting a 40, do not enter. Sadly, I suspect that those who don't want to shoot RR may not want to have the score because they know they are better than a 40, but want to enter anyway. I know of a number of archers that fit that category, or did at that time. :(  There are also a lot of archers who just shoot because they want to shoot. They don't want a RR score because it means nothing to them. Not everyone who plays this game is a competition freak.Lastly, having a location where it would be legal and safe to shoot Royal Rounds is getting very hard for many groups. We have offered the opportunity to shoot Royals at Warlord, before, but because the schedule is so packed, it is very hard to get a marshal who is willing to run them, after spending an entire day in the heat, and looking forward to another entire day in the heat. We run up against getting to court and other complications. Lyneya de Grey King's ArcherSable Talon for ArcheryStudent to Jacques the Spink COAOFormer Central Regional Missile Marshal

Well-behaved women Seldom make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich