[Ansteorra-archery] Historical development of English archery?

Cynthia Teague cmt1708 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 09:39:22 PDT 2013

In the last month or so I've been reading a fair amount about Crecy and
Agincourt and the crucial role of English & Welsh archers in those
battles.  Then just yesterday I looked at a large-scale reproduction of the
Bayeux Tapestry and read the commentary -- and in this battle, the archers
are Norman!  There's one English archer that I've seen so far, but all the
illustrations of shields stuck with arrows like pincushions are English
shields with Norman arrows!  So what happened between 1066 and 1346 to
reverse this so much?

At first I thought, well, maybe the English who are attacking in the 14th
century are just the descendents of the invading Normans, but those
descendents were the English/Norman knights, not the archers.

So what gives?  I can imagine that the English were impressed enough by the
invasion to take up archery, but why would the French abandon it?

Vigdis of Namron