[Ansteorra-archery] Horsebow vs. Longbow

Erwin Simmons ESIMMONS001 at HOT.RR.COM
Thu May 30 07:02:43 PDT 2013

Are you asking for "period" shoots or for all shoots?  For regular
shoots most bows are allowed as long as they have no stabilizers and or
sighting devices.  I would not allow any of the really newer bow with
the magnesium risers etc. I have seen modern longbows, ie. laminated
wood and fiberglass limbs allowed for "period" shooting.
A period Magyar or Mongol  horsebow , due to its laminated layered
construction would have
a distinct advantage over a standard longbow, the longbow being a self
bow.  The horsebow was fatster and had better cast.  So for me I would
allow it.  I am not currently an archery marshal in Ansteorra, however I
was Lieutenant General of archers for the Principality of Drachenwald
and I allowed the horsebows. Cosmetically they look more period also
than some bows being shot.
That's my take on the question.

Ld Eric Bentbow