[Ansteorra-chirurgeon] FW: [SCA-Chirurgeon] Digest Number 759

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Fri Apr 5 07:57:37 PST 2002

This was posted to the SCA-Chirurgeon list, but it is very appropriate
for us. The only thing I would have mentioned more prominently is
that the secret for preventing all these is hydration. The fighters and
non-fighters (my most severe heat problem was with a non-fighter)
need to drink every time someone offers them water. We need to
make sure they are constantly offered water.

In the Texas/Oklahoma heat fighters should be drinking 1-1.5 liters
of water each hour. Tell them if they don't have to pee every hour
or two they are not drinking enough (our secret is on a truly hot
day when you are exercising you cannot drink enough to need
to pee - it all goes into sweat).

When you are drinking that much water, you can wash out some
of the necessary electrolytes. So use diluted Gatorade *some*
of the time or eat pickles or other items that can restore some
electrolytes.

Prevention is much, much better than treatment.

In service,
Caelin on Andrede
Kingdom Chirurgeon, Ansteorra