[Ansteorra-chirurgeon] CNN.com - Defibrillator use: No experience required - Oct. 16, 2002

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Sun Oct 20 17:39:26 PDT 2002

> I have a question on the prescription needed.  How do they place theses
> devices into shopping malls and airports that are accessible to
> the public.
These are prescribed by a doctor under contract with the owners of
the establishment. The sellers of the AEDs can arrange the contract
if the establishment does not have a willing doctor.

> As I understand it, the new CPR course includes AED (automatic External
> Defibulator) in the lesson. Wouldn't we be covered under the same Good
> Samaritian Laws as any other private citizen using these devices in an
> airport or local shopping mall?
The Texas Good Samaritan law does not cover AED unless you have been
trained on it. It is assumed that one of the employees who is trained
or someone from the public who is trained will operate the device.
It is only 20-60 minutes of training including the
hands on parts. And we do now include it in the CPR course.

> Lord Rurik the Red

In service,
Caelin on Andrede