[Ansteorra-chirurgeon] A Question of Supplies

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Tue Jun 8 13:37:20 PDT 2004

________________________________

From: ansteorra-chirurgeon-bounces+rjt=acm.org at ansteorra.org on behalf of Ld. Alfred
Sent: Tue 6/8/2004 3:22 PM
To: ansteorra-chirurgeon at ansteorra.org
Subject: [Ansteorra-chirurgeon] A Question of Supplies

>>Greetings the List!
>> Does anyone have a list of suppliers that the Chiurgeon's regularly purchase from? I have seen a few on >>the web via Google, but wonder what is a fair price?

>>I shop Masune, BoundTree, Galls, and others online. I get single-dose OTC meds, gloves, C-collars, >>BVMs, and a host of other stuff.

>> Also, are there any published "suggested" lists for simple, medium, well-stocked, over-the-top kit items?

http://www.chirurgeon.org has Friar Galen's kit (note he is an MD and though these are first aid items, they may be beyond what you want to carry). If you look at commercial kits a simple kit would be the $20 kit they carry at Sams Club. A medium kit would include a BP cup and stethoscope, a small flashlight, several kinds of gauze dressings, triangle bandages, glucose gel and tablets.

A well-stocked kit would be a Galls basic EMT kit. Over the top would include BVMs, O2 tank with regulator and masks, oral and nasal airways, epi pens, a glucometer, etc. My kit is "over the top", but I am an EMT and most of the "advanced" stuff stays in the trunck of my car unless it is needed.

I'll be glad to show you several samples of kits if you come to King's College or AAA or other event where I will attend with other Chirurgeons. My basic process has been to start with a medium kit then add things I needed and did not have. If something has been in the kit for a year without being used, I evaluate whether I want to keep it (I keep the epi-pens, but got rid of the ear/nose/throat light kit, for instance). Some of the stuff in the "over the top" kits could not be used under a Chirurgeon's baldric. The process required is not "first aid" at a level at or below First Responder.

In service,
Caelin on Andrede< Master Chirurgeon