[Ansteorra-chirurgeon] Re: Ansteorra-chirurgeon Digest, Vol 14, Issue 6

Gerita/Carolle Cox hpockets at verizon.net
Wed Oct 6 15:22:22 PDT 2004

Yes we can.  We are not 'in loco parentis'.  Legally, you are within
your rights to provide to a minor anything s/he can purchase in a store
for him/herself.  And condoms fit that category.

I know this is setting some teeth on edge, so I'm going to put my Deputy
Kingdom Chirurgeon hat on, snap it down tight and say this:  YOU as one
individual human being, do not have to carry condoms.  You do not need
to provide them to anyone you feel uncomfortable giving them to.  There
is no law that forces a volunteer first-aid provider to open his kit to
anyone who comes by for supplies of any sort.  If you make your personal
decision to refuse such things to individuals who do not appear to be of
legal age, I, for one, will NOT take your baldric, call the cops, or
hang you from the petard at high noon (what's a petard?).  But do me
just one favor, in the interests of peace in the SCA: don't lecture the
kid, and don't run to his parents and tattle (thus breaking a huge
confidence).  If you do either one, you will destroy a fair piece of the
trust the Chirurgeonate has worked for many years to earn for itself
among all groups in our Society.  Unless the kid's mother is your
sister, of course. . . .   there are limits.

That in mind, this is truly an enlightening conversation:  please
continue!

Gerita

People are like stained glass windows.  They sparkle and shine when the
sun is out, but when darkness sets in, their beauty is revealed only if
there is a light from within. -- Elizabeth Kübler-Ross