[Ansteorra-chirurgeon] FW: wilderness EMT

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Mon Nov 27 14:06:02 PST 2006

I thought some of you might be interested so I'm sending this to the list.
Please note this is not a Chirurgeon course and does not imply any
requirements changes for Chirurgeons now or later. This is something that
you may be able to use in your work or play or just to satisfy your own
drive for knowledge. It teaches some things that would be within the scope
of Chirurgeon work and many things which would not. For those of you who
take it, I'll be glad to help draw that line during and after the course if
you like.

I have located a Wilderness EMT Upgrade course that I intend to take. It is
taught by a really great instructor who also really knows Wilderness first
aid. The dates will be April 21-28. It will train you in Wilderness First
Aid at an EMT level. A Wilderness EMT has to know quite a bit more than a
normal EMT because s/he will be working in a primitive area and can expect
from 2 hours to several days of stabilization until the patient gets
definitive care. Those of you who are ASHI instructors will be, upon
completion, be certified to teach everything up to and including ASHI
Wilderness EMT Upgrade. This includes all the Wilderness FA, Wilderness
First Responder, etc. I believe it includes a WMS instructor rating also,
but I'm not yet sure of that. Red Cross or AHA instructors can probably be
handled also. If nothing else, you can be bridged to ASHI and then qualify
there, but he teaches ARC and AHA classes in other venues and may be able to
certify those also. If you need that, please contact me.

You must be an EMT-B or higher to take this course. You will be the
equivalent of an EMT-I in everything except rotations when you get through,
though your state may not recognize this (mine does not). Most of the
training is about (1) medical/first aid treatment in a wilderness
environment and (2) increasing your assessment and treatment skills to
handle stabilizing patients for 2-3 days instead of 20-30 minutes (the
assumption in all EMS training).

This course consists of a *lot* of classroom and homework followed by
practicals doing rescues in the Rocky Mountain National Park. It currently
looks like Longs Peak. Even in April this is cold and may have snow.

You should assume about $800 for the class including room and board in Estes
Park (at the YMCA) plus $25 if you want the instructor rating.

That is actually not a bad price for a week of "vacation" in the Rocky
Mountains. My wife is going with me and will be camping in the Rocky
Mountain National Park which is adjacent to Estes Park where we will be
training. She does not expect to see me until the class is done.

Vern is the medical lead for the park (Medical Director I think, but he is
not an MD, so maybe not). He trains mountain climbing guides for Kilimanjaro
(sp) and other areas. He teaches dive expedition guides in dive medicine. He
teaches sports medicine to people running biking events and running events.
And he runs rescues for the Park and trains all the Rangers in wilderness
medicine.

For those of you who are MDs, he also has an MD level course which is
shorter, then you manage the EMT teams doing the rescues. He may or may not
offer it depending on the demand. I would need a fairly quick response for
him to engage instructors for it.

I'm looking for signups from those who might be interested. I'd like at
least 10 people by the time we get done, but I know (1) it is a lot of
money, (2) you guys all have two weeks planned for Pennsic and may not have
enough vacation, and (3) spouses may not want to spend their vacation time
without you.

This is a great opportunity to train on Wilderness with one of the best
instructors (and his team) around. Hope some of you can come.

If I get enough instructors for my training center in the course, I will
begin training WFA instructors and we might teach this course along with the
standard CPR and FA courses.

Caelin on Andrede
mka: Richard Threlkeld, ASHI Training Center Director

=======================================

Hi Richard,

Sorry it took awile to get back to you. I wanted to confirm instructor
availability first.

Because we are doing a week long and it will not be broken up over weekends
we can get all material complete in less time.  Proposed schedule:

April 21, Saturday: Arrive and check in. / Orientation at 6pm

April 22 - 27 (Sunday - Friday): Course

April 28 - (Saturday): Instructor program

Course cost: 465.00 per person

Lodging is at YMCA, the amount depends on how many in a room. The most
reasonable is about $38.00 per night for 5 in a room. You can do six in a
room for $37.00 but 2 people in the group would have to share a bed. They
have 2 bunk beds and 1 queen in the rooms. There are other options but the
price goes up from there. Remeber too that This price is per person / per
night and includes 3 meals a day in the cafeteria! Not a bad deal.

Instructor course: $25 per person. I usually charge $ 125.00 per person but
since you are already regular instructors and you are doing the EMT I am
happy to cut you a break. You will still need to purchase the ASHI
Wilderness Instructor material though.

Let me know if you have any more questions. If your folks are interested I
will book the YMCA and get things locked in.

Take care,

Vern