AD - Magisters a plenty?

Russell Kinder russmax at cowboy.net
Mon Apr 5 15:37:16 PDT 1999

Craig Shupee' wrote:
> {Pug wrote}
> >Maybe it is assumed that people will communicate to the person
> >putting together the manual their local variations.
>
> I feal it is their responsibility to do so.  If a group wants to see
> their variation in a manual, then they need to do it.  If you want
> something done then you need to make sure that it happens.  I am sure
> that anyone wishing to contribute to a manual could do so and would be
> thanked as well.

   Even in the Nordsteorra manual, I DID put a few regional variatons
in, where I was aware of them. Most notably, Whirligig, where Steppes,
Stargate, and Mooneschadowe all do it differently. I should do the same
for Newcastle, Sellenger's, Rufty Tufty, Parson's Farewell, and some
others. It is my plan to expand on this for the 2nd edition. I take
notes whenever I see something different from the way we do it in
Mooneschadowe. For the simpler dances, regional variations are often not
worth mentioning. They are just flourishes.

   On the other hand, if I only put in my local variations, and my
manual gets distributed and used all over, then the Mooneschadowe way
becomes the Kingdom way. That's what I would do if I were an evil dance
master, but I'm not. I really enjoy that others do some of these dances
differently. It's not like one group is right, and the others wrong (I
don't care what you say about Parson's Farewell, Philip) :-)

   The whole point of the Nordsteorra manual is to promote dance outside
of my local group. My local group doesn't need a manual, because they
have Estril and me. It's a resource for helping dance teachers in other
Northern groups get started. The Ansteorran dance manual would have the
same purpose, I would just have more help writing it. The reason I
didn't call mine the Ansteorran manual, is that there are a lot of
dancers that I haven't consulted, and I don't have that kind of chutzpah.

> >How I read the guild charter it is to help promote the dancers in
> >this Kingdom and not dance within this Kingdom. The multi-tier
> >structure does nothing for dance within this Kingdom except to
> >This might be why some have people recognized for their
> >accomplishments within the field. people have a problem with a
> >guild based on multi-tier recognition ofthe dancers instead of
> >better facilitation of dance instructions within the Kingdom.
>
> The recognition does do something for dance in the kingdom.  It can be
> used for motivation.  I do not understand how you can say that a
> system that encourages people to learn and to teach does not help the
> feild for which the guild is formed.

   I agree with Philip. It's kind of the Reagonomics theory of dance
promotion. The trickle-down theory. That may sound kind of trite, but in
the North, the biggest problem we face with dance is that most groups
don't have local instructors. I can (and do) try to make it to other
groups to teach dance, but it takes more than once or twice a year for
people to learn the dances. We need a system that will encourage a few
people to be STARS that can light the way for the rest. The initial
learning curve is pretty steep for a beginning teacher. I think the
guild's time is better spent encouraging a few to be teachers, and
providing materials for those teachers, than in trying to *directly*
address the needs of "Joe Blow Dancer".

[more stuff from Pug snipped]
> I dissagree.  I like that we would presure ourselves to teach, to
> learn, to reconstruct, to publish.  Not everyone has there own
> motivation and a guild can help us to grow more than we could on our
> own.

   What he said. Promoting dancers is part of promoting dance

Guillaume