AD - Chair and disscusion

Charlene Charette charlene at flash.net
Wed Apr 7 00:43:55 PDT 1999

Craig Shupee' wrote:

> I am sorry, but I am going to disagree on the chair idea.  I feal that
> we have been kept on track and have been addressing what was
> nessessary.  I think that a chair at this point is added
> administration and unnessisary.  We are a group of adults that is
> willing to discuss what we need to accomplish.  This guidence is not
> nessisary at this point.

Obviously we disagree or I wouldn't have brought it up.  So far we've had a few
(3-4) people discussing some details on a mailing list.  It's extremely
difficult for anyone to respond when there are 30 messages in one day from only
3 people.  Some people handle their mail on a daily basis, some every few days,
some once a week.  Even if you're checking mail daily, it's easy to feel that
the discussion has passed you by and that you're input is not possible when the
traffic is so high.  I've seen it happen too many times.

> My idea when I brought this idea up to Guillaume was that we would
> keep the number participating in the disscussion small.  We are
> looking at foming a guild that will start the affect how dance is run
> in the kingdom in a major way.  Thus I contacted the dance guild heads
> in the kingdom, those people who already have experience and are in
> charge of dance or have been in charge.  So I feal that the parcentage
> of dance teachers on this list is vey high.  And what will work.

Fair enough opinion.  I think it's good to check with local dancers at dance
practices to get a pulse for how things are going.  We don't necessarily need to
do a mass mailing at this stage.  I was trying to get a feel for where people
stood.  And so far (in less than 24 hours) we've seen about the same number
agree we need local input as disagree.  Hardly a concensus...not even a simple
majority.

> This formt might be a good idea, btu hey, we are dance teachers and we
> don't want to be told to do.   And if you can keep a list to focus on
> one thread at a time good luck.

I can work and does on *lots* of lists.  It's the only way to get anything
meaningful done.  Just takes a little discipline on the part of the list
members.  And when that doesn't work there's always the option of going to a
monitored list (although I don't think we'd want to do that for this one).

> Part of this list is so that we can
> all communicate and get things finished quikly and efficiently.

Again, where the need for speed coming from?  I agree that things should be kept
moving, but rushing it through and cramming down people's throats only dooms it
to failure.

> I would hate to see us lose sight of the guild because we are trying
> to have the whole kingdom agree on each topic.

I'm not asking for concensus of the whole kingdom, just a fair representation.
And it's the nitpicky, skimmed over details that will bite in the arse later.

> I am proud of what we have done so far and am glad to say that I am an
> Ansteorran dancer.

Yes, you have done lots of work so far and I commend you for it.  After talking
to people off-line I felt it was time for the discussion to move out of the
brainstorming stage.

--Perronnelle