AD - guild purpose and goals

Kelly Erickson elinthetimid at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 7 14:43:16 PDT 1999

>Charlene Charette wrote:
>
>> Purpose:  The purpose of the Guild shall be to promote the learning
and teaching of Medieval, Renaissance, and SCA dances throughout the
Kingdom of Ansteorra.

>Technically, by this definition, Playford is out.  As well as all the
"ethnic" dances:  Angus Reel, Postie's Jig, Korobushka, Road to the
Isles/Gae Gordons/Scotland the Brave, etc.  I think through 1st
edition Playford is reasonable -- it will be a long time before this
kingdom can eliminate it(assuming anyone would want to and I don't
believe they do).

It might help to broaden the definition a little (Renaissance-era
dances?), but the SCA does pretty much restrict us to pre-1600 Europe.
So while we will no doubt continue to do post-period dances like
Korobushka because they are fun, I don't see that promoting it should
be part of the purpose of an SCA-affiliated guild. And forgive me if
I'm being ignorant here, but did the Middle Ages and Renaissance not
hit Ireland and Scotland? As long as there are people willing to say
'if it was published in 1650, it was probably around in some form in
1600', we'll be doing Playford dances. But these are the things that
come easily; shouldn't it be part of our challenge to learn dances
that are harder to find or reconstruct?