AD - What to count as dance?

Russell russmax at cowboy.net
Thu Apr 8 02:37:57 PDT 1999

Philip,

   Your restated purpose works for me. I kind of figured that people
wouldn't like the words "17th century." Since you only have 2
categories, it could be worded slightly more simply:

Purpose: The purpose of the Guild shall be to promote the learning,
teaching, and dancing of court dance from the SCA period (pre-1601) and
the current Middle Ages (SCA creations and other dances that are
commonly done in the SCA).

   Does anyone else get what I'm saying about rejecting OOP dances--that
it would be counter to the purpose of encouraging court dance in Ansteorra?

   I like the compromise you propose about at least 1/2 the dances being
pre-1601 for Journeyman & Magister levels. However, by your wording, you
would be excluding most of even Playford's 1st edition. Is that what you
mean to do? I think some will chafe at that. Even so, 1/2 of the dances
one teaches could be Playford and stuff that's even more OOP. Should we
make a specific exception to allow Playford's 1st edition into the realm
of blessed dances? On the other hand, is it OK if *all* the dances a
Magister knows are Playford 1st edition or later?

   The references Estril cited earlier don't prove that the pre-1601
dances that share names with dances from Playford are the same as what's
in Playford. They do make an argument that *some* of Playford's 1st
edition should be considered period.

   Really, the only argument I personally have against the compromise
you propose is that it violates the KISS principle, Keep It Simple,
Stupid. If the simple works, why complicate it? We would not only be
complicating the charter and the level definitions, we would be
complicating the Proctor's job of keeping the roster, and deciding when
members have advanced.

   I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm OK with or without the
"1/2 pre-1601" amendment.

Guillaume