AD - What to count as dance?

dewalden@flash.net dewalden at flash.net
Thu Apr 8 15:20:54 PDT 1999

Okay, I'm going to be extremely anal here...

> Purpose: The purpose of the Guild shall be to promote the learning,
> teaching, and dancing of court dance from the SCA period (pre-1601) and
> the current Middle Ages (SCA creations and other dances that are
> commonly done in the SCA).

What exactly do you mean by "court dance".  I am not sure if some of the line-
type dances I enjoy to do - the Farndole for example - could be considered
"court dances" (although I could very possible be wrong?).  Could this be further
explained?  If this terminology is not meant to restrict the type of dances taught
and encouraged, then why is it even used?  Why not just "dance"?

Yvette Royd