AD - guild purpose and goals

John F. Hirling macfergus at unidial.com
Thu Apr 8 18:52:17 PDT 1999

Here follows my thoughts on the "Purpose Statement" and Goals.

The purpose statement as presented:
Purpose:  The purpose of the Guild shall be to promote the learning and
teaching of Medieval, Renaissance, and SCA dances throughout the Kingdom of
Ansteorra.
Goals:  The goals for the Guild at the time of chartering shall be
five-fold:
1.	To facilitate communication between existing local dance guilds and to
assist any local group in founding a dance guild for itself.
2.	To assist any local group which wants to have dance classes, either at
meetings or events.
3.	To maintain a roster of dance teachers throughout the Kingdom.
4.	To produce and keep current a Kingdom-wide dance manual and dance tape.
5.	To encourage widespread teaching and research of Medieval, Renaissance,
and SCA dances.

An alternative draft:

Purpose statement: The primary purpose of the Guild is to promote the
learning and teaching of Medieval, Renaissance, and SCA (original and
commonly danced) dances by:
* facilitating communication between existing local dance guilds;
* assisting any local group in founding a dance guild for itself;
* maintaining a roster of dance teachers throughout the Kingdom;
* producing and updating a Kingdom-wide dance manual (including, where
appropriate, regional variations);
* providing and updating a discography;
* producing dance tapes and compact discs;
* encouraging research in Medieval, Renaissance and SCA dances; and
* advancing excellence in dance teaching.

Commentary:  The parenthetical in line 2 hopefully addresses the OOP issue -
this could also be addressed by a footnote.  The "where appropriate" in
other parenthetical is meant to avoid "We don't have a reason, we just like
to dance it that way" variation.

Every other element in the charter should clearly grow out of the purpose
statement.  The other changes reflect my conviction that the "bullets" are
part of the purpose - not goals.  (Note the final one, good Guillaume, --
you've won me over on the issue of identifying expertise, so I wanted
something in the purpose statement to support it).
--ihon