AD - What to count as dance?

Russell Kinder russmax at cowboy.net
Tue Apr 13 14:44:56 PDT 1999

dewalden at flash.net wrote:

> I would like to second this.  I think trying to decide what is currently considered
> okay or not is just going to cause a lot of arguments and take more time than
> we care to spend on it.  Everyone will have their own opinion as to what is
> acceptable.  However, I do feel we need to state or at least imply somehow that
> we should strive to avoid bringing in any "new" dances (ie ones that are not
> already well-known to the SCA) that are known to be OOP or otherwise
> inappropriate.  Make sense?

   That sounds good to me also. We don't want to make anyone mad by
excluding their favorite dances, or telling someone that all those ECDs
they know don't count for advancing in the guild. Nor do we want people
to introduce new OOP dances into the SCA. I will continue to turn down
requests for the Virginia Reel. (It's been requested before.) I might
try to subtly kill off one OOP dance at a time. I'm having some success
with Strip the Willow. But I don't think we can kill them all off at once.

   We do want people to create new choreographies in period styles, so
SCA choreographies should be counted toward the totals.

> Someone also questioned something to the effect that should we consider
> someone who has the required number of dances known - but they're all ECD -
> to be equal to someone with the same number of differing dances - some ECD,
> some Branles, some Pavans, etc?  My opinion is no.  I think we also need to
> include somewhere something about having a well-rounded repertoire (sp?).  I
> don't think we need to get into specifics -so many known of this type, so many
> of that - or anything like that.  Just mention that their known dances should be
> from several different "types" of dances.  I know that most people who would
> currently fit into the higher levels of the heirarchy as is now stated probably
> already fall into this situation, but I think it needs to be actually stated, not
> simply assumed.

   That might work well. How many different categories of Renaissance
dance do we have? 1) ECD, 2) Inns of Court, 3) Branles, 4) other Arbeau,
5) basse dance, 6) 15th cent. Italian (Domenico, etal.), 7) 16th cent.
Italian (Caroso, Negri), 8) SCA choreographies, and 9) new findings like
the Il Papa ms, or the Gresley ms. My thinking is that out of those 9
categories, an Inceptor would only need to know dances from  1 category,
a Journeyman from 3 categories, and a Magister from 6 categories.

   Does this work better for people than specifying percentages? Such as
half of the dances taught must be pre-1601?

   Other arguments pro or con?

Guillaume