AD - guild purpose and goals

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Tue Apr 13 16:12:39 PDT 1999

Good Morning,

  Okay, I'm gonna be anal now.

  We seem to be getting ahead of ourselves again by taking about the
  requirements for levels. (I know I was guilty of this early on as
  well.)

  Do we have any problems with the following purpose?

  ----
  Purpose statement: The primary purpose of the Guild is to promote the
  learning and teaching of Medieval, Renaissance, and SCA (original and
  commonly performed) dances.

  The purpose of the guild shall be achieved by:
  * facilitating communication between existing dance guilds;
  * assisting any local group in forming a dance guild;
  * maintaining a roster of dance teachers throughout the Kingdom;
  * producing and updating a Kingdom-wide dance manual including, where
    appropriate, regional variations;
  * providing and updating a discography;
  * producing dance tapes and/or compact discs;
  * encouraging research in Medieval, Renaissance and SCA dances; and
  * recognizing excellence in dance teaching.
  ----

  The only issue I heard raised was possibly changing it to:

  ----
  Purpose statement: The primary purpose of the Guild is to promote the
  learning and teaching of dances appropriate to the scope of the SCA.
  ----

  If no one disagrees with either of these (I think that is close enough),
  we should move on to the *first* level and then on through them til we're
  at the end. We may go back and revisit categories as we learn more
  from each other, but we should start at the ground and build instead
  of starting at the roof and having it collapse.

  While it may appear at first that we should look at them all at once,
  I think that we just need to make sure that we know how many levels we
  want and then figure out what the entry level one is and work up.

Ciao,