AD - guild purpose and goals

John F. Hirling macfergus at unidial.com
Tue Apr 13 17:20:08 PDT 1999

Pug wrote something like:

<snip>

  Do we have any problems with the following purpose?

  ----
  Purpose statement: The primary purpose of the Guild is to promote the
  learning and teaching of Medieval, Renaissance, and SCA (original and
  commonly performed) dances.

  The purpose of the guild shall be achieved by:
  * facilitating communication between existing dance guilds;
  * assisting any local group in forming a dance guild;
  * maintaining a roster of dance teachers throughout the Kingdom;
  * producing and updating a Kingdom-wide dance manual including, where
    appropriate, regional variations;
  * providing and updating a discography;
  * producing dance tapes and/or compact discs;
  * encouraging research in Medieval, Renaissance and SCA dances; and
  * recognizing excellence in dance teaching.
  ----

  The only issue I heard raised was possibly changing it to:

  ----
  Purpose statement: The primary purpose of the Guild is to promote the
  learning and teaching of dances appropriate to the scope of the SCA.
  ----

<snip>
I applaud your rewording of the earlier suggestions.
I find the phrase: "appropriate to the scope of the SCA" unnecessarily vague
and ambiguous
.
Mistress Kaitlyn and I were talking last night with some folks interested in
dance but who are not particularly interested in teaching.  Kaitlyn noted
that the purpose statement in its present form only recognizes excellence in
teaching and that we might also want to recognize excellence in dance
performance - two tracks for guild members, some of whom are interested in
teaching but not performing, some of who are interested in performing but
not teaching, and some who are interested in both.  I believe it to be a
good idea.  Thus I would propose adding:

* recognizing excellence in dance performance.

.
--ihon.