AD - guild purpose and goals

C Scot Henry henrycs at ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 13 21:16:18 PDT 1999

>Mistress Kaitlyn and I were talking last night with some folks interested
in
>dance but who are not particularly interested in teaching.  Kaitlyn noted
>that the purpose statement in its present form only recognizes excellence
in
>teaching and that we might also want to recognize excellence in dance
>performance - two tracks for guild members, some of whom are interested in
>teaching but not performing, some of who are interested in performing but
>not teaching, and some who are interested in both.  I believe it to be a
>good idea.  Thus I would propose adding:
>
>* recognizing excellence in dance performance.
>
>.
>--ihon.

I agree with this idea!  This would give us a good way to encourage,
recognize and reward newer dancers who are progressing but not yet confident
to teach.  It would also make the guild more accessible and thus, would
further promote dance.  I think that would also help make us look less
elitist and cliquish as so many of the other groups in the SCA seem to be
(and please don't ask me to say who or what) and as the word "guild" has
come to mean to so many.
I had just started to seriously look for something in the charter that
talked about LEARNING dance, so I'm glad someone else saw this oversight.
I'm not sure about having two or three tracks or if we should just have more
levels with the learning only as the beginning ones.  I guess more
discussion is definitely in order here.

Also, on the point of dances in different categories - most of us use a
variety to keep ourselves and our dancers entertained and coming back for
more, just as we vary the difficulty and intensity of the dances even within
one category.  So, I don't know that this needs to be specified.  But truly
as others have said, let's get the horse, before we start putting the cart
in front of it.

Yours in service,
Lady Capricia d'Aulnay
Hospitaler and Dance Teacher, Barony of Namron, Ansteorra

P.S. - We had four new dancers at class tonight (and two were even