AD - first proctor/magisters

Russell russmax at cowboy.net
Wed Apr 21 22:28:52 PDT 1999

   That is a nice chicken/egg dilemma.

   I think the only way we could do it, to be logical & consistent with
the idea that the Proctor is elected by consensus of *all* the Guild
members, is the way Elin describes. At ATYC, the assembled charter Guild
members would sign the charter, and submit the thing to the King. That
avoids the problem of the 1st Proctor being god/goddess of the guild. It
also emphasizes that all members are equal in the guild, regardless of
the level they are later assigned. You don't need a Proctor to record
who the charter members are since they are all signing the charter.

   Then the assembled charter members would choose a Proctor. Then each
person would submit their qualifications to the Proctor, who would
record their level. That assumes we end up having levels at all. If we
don't, then we sign the charter, submit it to the King, choose a Proctor
and go home.

   I don't think it would be necessary for a "committee" to review the
initial level assignments. That is the Proctor's job, after all. The
Proctor doesn't really "assign" levels, but simply recognizes when they
are attained, and records them. We would have to skip the requirement
that a member of equivalent level sign off for each member's level, but
that's inherent in the nature of being charter members.

   Thanks for posting a solution with the problem. Everyone, should this
procedure be specified in the Charter?

Guillaume