AD - Recognition - levels -

Russell Kinder russmax at cowboy.net
Fri Apr 23 11:53:02 PDT 1999

"Bordelon, Wendel" wrote:

> Guillaume wrote:  (pardon the cutting)
> >                 .... Isn't the main purpose of levels to keep track
> > of who the qualified teachers are?

   I think you're quoting me out of context here. I was talking about
whether we would want levels for performers as well as teachers.

> This seems to me to be the main issue to resolve.  If the guild is going to
> say that a person is qualified to teach or indicate what "level" of teacher
> that person is then the guild must decide what level the teacher has
> attained not the student. After all it is the reputation of the guild that
> is backing the assigned level.  Our own academic world has standards and
> exams that must be met and passed before you can be a teacher.  In the
> universities you can move from undergraduate and maybe run a lab in your
> senior year; to graduate student and teach some lower level classes; on up
> to Ph.D. where you are teaching more advanced classes and probably the
> future teachers.  Or if you prefer the guild structure...  a guild will take
> apprentices, they must accomplish a set amount of work and learning and then
> pass a skills test administered and judged by the Guild before they are
> advanced to the next level.  Neither organization would endorse the skills
> of someone they did not verify had those skills.  It would not take long for
> people to discount the certifications if they did otherwise.

   I composed a long reply, but I'm going to put off sending it for now.
I'll just make a note that you appear to have a similar opinion to Ihon
on how levels should be assigned. Please clarify, if that is incorrect.

   In a few days, I'll post the monster reply, that I hope is
persuasive. Unless, of course, some of you manage to persuade me
otherwise in the meantime. To do that, you would have to make me believe
that it is insufficient or unrealistic to have an objective set of
requirements that both candidate, Guild sponsor, and Proctor can easily
see have been met. You would also have to convince me that making each
candidate undergo a subjective "teaching trial" before a group of people
he doesn't really know to earn a new level would cause no hurt feelings,
be consistently and fairly applied to all candidates, and wouldn't be
insulting to a candidate who has already met all the other arduous
requirements (and insulting to his sponsoring Guild member).

> If the recommendation/certification for a level comes from someone outside
> of the guild then why not just recommend them for a Sable Thistle in Dance.
> Because the Sable Thistle is known and respected in our Kingdom it will
> carry more weight.

   I'm not sure where this comes from. What procedure have you seen
proposed that would let someone outside the guild (or other than the
candidate himself) recommend someone for a level?

   Finally, I don't think we've been introduced. It is my desire to
somewhat know the other people on this list before engaging in long
debates with them. Well met, I hope.

Guillaume de Troyes
Dancer, teacher, and performer from the Shire of Mooneschadowe.