AD - Re: Guild Purposes and Goals, Discussion Administration

WeeRosebud at aol.com WeeRosebud at aol.com
Mon Apr 5 22:55:16 PDT 1999

So, let me get this straight:  Peronelle said:

I feel the first step is agreeing on the purpose and goals.  Everything
else is just details.  So far we have the following.  Good?  Bad?
Things to add?  Subtract?  Don't care?  Don't forget to solicit opinions
from people not on the list.

Purpose:  The purpose of the Guild shall be to promote the learning and
teaching of Medieval, Renaissance, and SCA dances throughout the Kingdom
of Ansteorra.

Goals:  The goals for the Guild at the time of chartering shall be
five-fold:

1.  To facilitate communication between existing local dance guilds and
to assist any local group in founding a dance guild for itself.

2.  To assist any local group which wants to have dance classes, either
at meetings or events.

3.  To maintain a roster of dance teachers throughout the Kingdom.

4.  To produce and keep current a Kingdom-wide dance manual and dance
tape.

5.  To encourage widespread teaching and research of Medieval,
Renaissance, and SCA dances.

--Perronnelle

And I believe Lord Guillaume said something to the effect of, in answering
Pug:

> I think I have found the flaw in the charter that may be the root of
>  Pug's misgivings. The charter lists the group's purpose and goals, but
>  it doesn't assign anyone to make sure the purpose is pursued and the
>  goals are met.
>
>  I'll requote the purpose of the guild here:
>  --------------------------------------
>  Purpose:    The purpose of the Guild shall be to promote the learning
>  and teaching of Medieval, Renaissance, and SCA dances throughout
>  the Kingdom of Ansteorra.
>
>  Goals: The goals for the Guild at the time of chartering shall be
>  five-fold:
>  1.      To facilitate communication between existing local dance guilds,
>          and to assist any local group in founding a dance guild for
>          itself.
>  2.      To assist any local group which wants to have dance classes,
>          either at meetings or events.
>  3.      To maintain a roster of dance teachers throughout the Kingdom.
>  4.      To produce and keep current a Kingdom-wide dance manual and
>          dance tape.
>  5.      To encourage widespread teaching and research of Medieval,
>          Renaissance, and SCA dances.
>  --------------------------------------
>
>     All levels of membership should have this line added as one of the
> requirements:
>  * Pursue the purpose of the Guild and help the Proctor to meet its goals.
>

>     I was going to recommend adding a line to the Proctor's duties, but
>  it's all in there already, specifying that it is the Proctor's duty to
>  make sure the Guild meets its purpose and goals.
>
>     Pug's comments have made me go back and look at the charter from
>  another perspective. "Do its rules help it to meet its stated purpose
>  and goals?" I believe they do.
>
>  Guillaume

There.  I saved the trouble of that having to be restated again and again.

~Isabeau