in favor of 1st ed Playford was Re: AD - guild purpose and goals

dssweet at okstate.edu dssweet at okstate.edu
Wed Apr 7 10:17:56 PDT 1999

Guillaume said:
>   It could be argued that 1st edition Playford *is* Renaissance dance.
>Some would disagree. It does fall outside of the official time span of
>SCA period, but some hold period to end at 1650, which would be close
>enough for the 1st edition to be admitted. He compiled it in 1650 and
>before, even if it was published in 1651.

I would just like to present some arguments in favor of including 1st edition
Playford. These are edited copies of posts made to the Minstrel & SCA-Dance
lists. Sorry for the length.

First, on the Minstrel list, Tangwystyl said:

>Relevant to that, I thought I'd share something I came across while doing
>literature searches for my linguistic research. It's from the Bulletin of
>the Board of Celtic Studies (vol.8: pp.8-10), an article by Ifor Williams
>entitled "Cerddorion a Cherddau yn Lleweni, Nadolig 1595" (Musicians and
>Songs in Lleweni, Christmas 1595). It's a transcription of a list of
>performers and music performed at a Christmas celebration in northeastern
>Wales. The musicians have, in general, Welsh names (or Welsh-style) and
>most are designated "tylynior" (harper) or "prydydd" (poet). But the
>"play-list" is essentially entirely English -- excepting the occasional
>tune named after a Welsh town or nobleman. In fact, you'll recognize a
>lot of old friends.
>[The tunes -- I've left the interpretation as a game for the reader]
>{I deleted many names I didn't recognize - Estrill}
>fourtune; grine slifes; floweres of komfort; hartes ease; blache smithe;
>fadinge; Broune smith; Robing hud; the sycke manes health; light of love;
>hamlinton his health; halfe haniking; gini gether payers; the begininge of the
warld;
>the milner; Rooe well yow mariners; staynes moris; seedanen [one of the few
possibly Welsh >names -- this is probably "Sidanen", i.e., "the silken one", a
Welsh nickname for >Elizabeth I]; sundaye morning; peper is blac; floures of the
bromne; mun dese;
>petisivol; orlando; nwecast; the milner; shaking of sheetes; lacoranto; blacke
almor

And then the discussion migrated to SCA-Dance, where

Justin said:
>True, *but* -- this is a remarkably substantial list of dances that
>appear to survive in some form to Playford. It frankly strains my
>credulity that there is *no* connection between the 1600 form and 1650
>form of any of these dances. So while this is just a jigsaw-puzzle
>piece, it's an unusually interesting one.

And Greg responded:
>This is a list of tunes. Most of these tunes have mentions (in a
>musical context) earlier than 1595. Did people not know this?
>
>As for commonalities, it would be hard to know if a dance died out and
>was revived with different steps.

So, realistically, the jury is still out on this issue, but I feel that a good
case can be made to include 1st Edition Playford in the context of SCA dancing.
Other editions of Playford though.......

Estrill, the opinionated