AD - What to count as dance?

dewalden at flash.net dewalden at flash.net
Tue Apr 13 12:41:30 PDT 1999

From:           	Russell <russmax at cowboy.net>
>    In the matter of which dances to count for the teaching requirements
> for each level of membership, I think I have come to the following
> conclusion: We have to accept them all.

I would like to second this.  I think trying to decide what is currently considered
okay or not is just going to cause a lot of arguments and take more time than
we care to spend on it.  Everyone will have their own opinion as to what is
acceptable.  However, I do feel we need to state or at least imply somehow that
we should strive to avoid bringing in any "new" dances (ie ones that are not
already well-known to the SCA) that are known to be OOP or otherwise
inappropriate.  Make sense?

Someone also questioned something to the effect that should we consider
someone who has the required number of dances known - but they're all ECD -
to be equal to someone with the same number of differing dances - some ECD,
some Branles, some Pavans, etc?  My opinion is no.  I think we also need to
include somewhere something about having a well-rounded repertoire (sp?).  I
don't think we need to get into specifics -so many known of this type, so many
of that - or anything like that.  Just mention that their known dances should be
from several different "types" of dances.  I know that most people who would
currently fit into the higher levels of the heirarchy as is now stated probably
already fall into this situation, but I think it needs to be actually stated, not
simply assumed.

It's very early and I had a bugger of time getting up this morning - I hope I was
able to get my points across in a manner in which they make sense! <g>

Yvette