AD - Squire's Dance

Kaitlyn McKenna kaitlyn_mckenna at hotmail.com
Mon May 3 12:33:38 PDT 1999

>Okay, on another note - what is this whole business about a dance
>competition on a single dance for the squires?  I realize we want them to
>be
>well-rounded, but learning a single dance (which it seems they can just
>learn that day and promptly forget or at least never dance at a ball), just
>doesn't seem acceptable to me and seems to perpetuate the problem of our
>fighters not dancing and thus keeping the status of dance at a minimum.  If
>I'm wrong on this, someone please tell me here in the relative safety of
>our
>small group or e-mail me personally before I ask the wrong person and get
>squished. ;-)

Okay..here is the whole thing about the Squire's Dance.  This event was
originated with the Knights and the Dons who were looking for ways to
measure some of the qualities they look for in a "peer"(I know dons aren't).
  Dance was to show grace and courtly behavior.  They chose one dance, so
that all could be evaluated equally with the amount of grace being the only
variable.  Different dances would put in too many variables.  As the event
has mutated, dance became a requirement in itself as non-knights and
non-dons began to run it.  This year, all the dancers who usually end up
running the dance part wanted entrants to bring their own dance or do a said
dance which would have extra "partners" available to fill out a set.  The
other competitions are not taught.  The fighters are expected to prepare a
piece for A&S and bardic ahead of time, why not dance?  However, each
competition is supposed to be sponsored by a knight and a don.  None
volunteered til the week before. Soooo...one dance it is again.  Those of us
involved in dance in this area try to encourage others to dance and get
involved in dance...there are barricades that take time and slow change.
The one thing that definitely has happened with the Squire's dance...several
fighters who would have never danced, were forced to learn just one because
of this event.  They now dance much more.  One dance is less frightening
than come up with your own performance piece.  Even you don't like to be
judged, and you are a dancer.  The fighters feel better and will actually
try when all their counterparts have to do the same thing.

Just a bit of history behind the event,
kaitlyn