AD - Guild Charter, so far...

Russell Kinder russmax at cowboy.net
Wed May 5 15:42:59 PDT 1999

Ansteorra Dancers,

   I've tried to collect the changes to the charter made at Crown into a
full (but not final)draft. Here's my impression of where we are:

PURPOSE
This part is generally agreed upon and finalized.

MEMBERSHIP
As I have it defined, this part is generally agreed upon and finalized.
It says nothing about levels.

GUILD PROCTOR
This part is mostly agreed upon, but not finished. It has some
redundancy, and an incomplete definition. We also need a term of office
and a way to remove a dud proctor.

RECOGNITION OF INSTRUCTORS
Essentially, none of this is agreed upon or finalized. But it was in the
original charter. I present it here with the logic flaws cleaned up and
the items we've discussed incorporated.

   Here's where I want to go from here: I want to make one change to the
PURPOSE section, to reflect a desire for recognition of dancers who
aren't teachers. (In my next post.) Then we'll address the MEMBERSHIP
section, to make sure everyone is happy with that. Then we'll finish up
the GUILD PROCTOR section. Then we'll discuss RECOGNITION levels. First,
we need to determine if we'll have a separate level structure for
teachers and non-teachers. Then we need to line out the requirements for
each level, and how advancement is determined.

   We have lots to do here, and at the rate we're going, it's not going
to be ready in time for ATYC. I realize that we need to meet in person
to finalize any consensus we achieve, but we can hash many things out
online so that the work we do in person goes much more quickly. We have
meetings planned for Steppes Warlord and King's College. It would be
nice to be mostly finished at Warlord, and completely finished at King's
College. Then we could present it to the Crown in advance of ATYC, and
they could sign it there. We also need to be able to publicize the
charter before ATYC, so it seems critical that we complete it at King's College.

Guillaume

-------------------------
Charter for the
Ansteorran Guild of European Dancers
A Kingdom-wide dance guild of Ansteorra

PURPOSE
The primary purpose of the Guild is to promote the learning, teaching,
and performance of Medieval, Renaissance, and SCA (original and commonly
performed) dances. The purpose of the guild shall be achieved by:
* facilitating communication between existing dance guilds;
* assisting any local group in forming a dance guild;
* maintaining a roster of dance teachers throughout the Kingdom;
* producing and updating a Kingdom dance manual;
* providing and updating a discography;
* producing dance tapes and/or compact discs;
* encouraging research in Medieval, Renaissance and SCA dances; and
* recognizing excellence in dance teaching.

MEMBERSHIP:
Any person in the SCA who is interested in dance may become a member of
the Guild. A Guild Member is a person who is interested in dances from
the SCA period and the current Middle Ages. The Guild Member is expected
to know or learn basic dance etiquette, basic dance steps for branles,
pavans, and almans, and one or two dances known generally throughout
Ansteorra. One becomes a Guild Member by sending his/her SCA and mundane
name and address to the Guild Proctor, expressing interest. The Guild
Member will be informed of the Guild's activities and projects.

GUILD PROCTOR:
The Proctor is chosen by the simple majority of the current Guild
roster, with the approval of the Crown. The Proctor's duties are as
follows:
1.	To maintain a current roster of dance teachers in the Kingdom of
Ansteorra.
2.	To assist groups in locating teachers for dance classes at events,
local meetings, revels, etc.
3.	To assist groups who wish to start local dance guilds.
4.	To keep informed on the progress, projects, and activities of local
guilds (either through formal reports or informal correspondence).
5.	To report to the Kingdom Minister Of Arts and Sciences on the
progress, projects, and activities of both the Ansteorran Dance Guild.
6.	To produce and/or maintain a Kingdom-wide dance manual and
accompanying recording of dance music.
The Guild Proctor may appoint deputies to fulfill those duties as
required.
The Proctor is chosen by the simple majority of the current Guild
roster, with the approval of the Crown. The vote is counted at a
designated official Kingdom Calendar event. Proxy votes are recognized.

RECOGNITION OF INSTRUCTOR ABILITY:
Inceptor--An Inceptor is a Guild Member who meets the following
standards:
1.	Has a knowledge of basic dance etiquette.
2.	Practices courtly and chivalrous behavior.
3.	Has taught and lead at least five dances to a group of people. The
Inceptor is required to know the name of each dance, the terminology of
its steps, and its background information (type of dance and approximate
date and country of origin) and implement this knowledge while teaching.

	A Guild Member attains the level of Inceptor upon completion of the
following:
1.	A letter with a list of dances taught and where each was taught is
sent to the Guild Proctor.
2.	The letter must be witnessed and signed by any one of the following
persons: local Seneschal, local Minister of Arts, local dance guild
head, or a Journeyman or Magister of the Guild. The Inceptor's name is
then added to the roster of dance teachers in Ansteorra.

Journeyman--A Journeyman is an Inceptor who also meets the following
standards:
1.	Has taught and lead at least ten dances to a group of people. The
Journeyman is required to know the name of each dance, the terminology
of its steps, and its background information (type of dance; original
author, publisher, or source manuscript; and approximate date and
country of origin) and implement this knowledge while teaching.
2.	Has been in charge of dancing at three or more events. This includes
running a ball or local dance practice, or teaching a dance class. It
means working with musicians, if they are present, doing walkthroughs
and calling when needed, and providing a list of dances or otherwise
helping the dancers to choose dances. In the case of teaching a class, a
handout must be provided with each dance's background and a tabulation
of its choreography.
3.	Has lead the performance of a dance or set of dances for competition
or display at one or more Kingdom Calendar events, before the assembled
members of  the Guild and whatever other judges and gentles are
interested. The dance(s) must be documented to verify their sources and
the performance leader's efforts in researching and teaching them. The
dance(s) must be difficult enough that at least three practice sessions
were needed to be able to perform them competently. The dance(s) must be
performed competently, without calling or walkthroughs.

An Inceptor attains the level of Journeyman upon completion of the
following:
1.	A letter is sent to the Guild Proctor with these items: 1) a list of
dances taught and where each was taught, 2) a list of balls or practices
run, and 3) which dance(s) were performed at which event.
2.	The letter must be witnessed and signed by either a Journeyman or
Magister of the Guild. The signature stands as a statement that the
person is judged to be proficient in the areas of teaching, knowledge,
costume, and manner.
3.	The letter must be witnessed and signed by any one of the following
persons: local Seneschal, local Minister of Arts, local dance guild
head. The Journeyman's name is then added to the roster of Journeyman
dance teachers in Ansteorra.

Magister of the Guild--A Magister of the Guild is a Journeyman who also
meets the following standards:
1.	Has taught and lead at least twenty dances to a group of people. The
Magister is required to know the name of each dance, the terminology of
its steps, and its background information (type of dance; original
author, publisher, or source manuscript; and approximate date and
country of origin) and implement this knowledge while teaching.
2.	Has been in charge of dancing at six or more events. This includes
running a ball or local dance practice, or teaching a dance class. It
means working with musicians, if they are present, doing walkthroughs
and calling when needed, and providing a list of dances or otherwise
helping the dancers to choose dances. In the case of teaching a class, a
handout must be provided with each dance's background and a tabulation
of its choreography.
3.	Has lead the performance of a dance or set of dances for competition
or display at two or more Kingdom Calendar events, before the assembled
members of  the Guild and whatever other judges and gentles are
interested. The performances at the two events cannot be the same dance
or set of dances. The dance(s) must be documented to verify their
sources and the performance leader's efforts in researching and teaching
them. The dance(s) must be difficult enough that at least three practice
sessions were needed to be able to perform them competently. The
dance(s) must be performed competently, without calling or walkthroughs.
4.	Has reconstructed at least two dances from original sources or
translations. An original choreography may be substituted for one
reconstruction.

A person attains the level of Magister of the Guild upon completion of
the following:
1.	A letter is sent to the Guild Proctor with these items: 1) a list of
dances taught and where each was taught, 2) a list of balls or practices
run, 3) which dance(s) were performed at which event, and 4) which
dances were reconstructed or choreographed.
2.	The letter must be witnessed and signed by a Magister of the Guild.
The signature stands as a statement that the person is judged to be
proficient in the areas of teaching, knowledge, costume, and manner.
3.	The letter must be witnessed and signed by any one of the following
persons: local Seneschal, local Minister of Arts, local dance guild
head. The Magister's name is then added to the roster of Magister dance
teachers in Ansteorra.

Submitted to Their Royal Majesties __________ this ________ day of
_________, A. S. ________, by the Charter Members of The Ansteorran
Dance Guild,

<signatures of the charter guild members go here>