AD - Guild Charter--GUILD PROCTOR

Russell Kinder russmax at cowboy.net
Wed May 5 16:06:02 PDT 1999

Dancers,

   Here are the changes I propose for the PROCTOR section.

How it's written now:
> GUILD PROCTOR:
> The Proctor is chosen by the simple majority of the current Guild
> roster, with the approval of the Crown. The Proctor's duties are as
> follows:

   That doesn't flow well. It sounds like it was made by a committee
that was arguing about something else at the time. The part about
"chosen by the simple majority" is also in the section on voting at the
end of the section. The original wording was "The Proctor is in charge
of the guild" or something like that. That was rightly rejected. How
about this:

"The Proctor is responsible for overseeing the activities of the Guild,
and ensuring that the Purpose of the Guild is pursued. The Proctor's
duties are as follows:"

   The duties of the Proctor look OK to me. One thought: Should we add
to the Proctor's duties something about putting on the Kingdom Dance
event? Should they autocrat it? Should they help pick the autocrat?
Should they simply make sure that the guild works well with the autocrat
of the Kingdom Dance event? Should they seek groups to host this event,
if no one is volunteering? Should that event be annual or bi-annual?
OK, it was a long thought.

> The Proctor is chosen by the simple majority of the current Guild
> roster, with the approval of the Crown. The vote is counted at a
> designated official Kingdom Calendar event. Proxy votes are recognized.

   We need to set the Proctor's term of office. Should it be one year or
two? Indefinite? Until they want to step down or they're removed?

   We also need to specify how a dud Proctor would be ousted. How about this:

"If the Proctor's duties aren't performed satisfactorily, the Proctor
may be removed by a 2/3 majority of the assembled Guild members at a
Crown Tournament or Coronation event."

   Finally, how proxy votes work needs to be better defined.

   Those are my thoughts on the Proctor section. I expect this
discussion to go on for awhile. Let's finish this up before we begin
discussing recognition and levels for teachers and dancers.

Sincerely,
Guillaume