AD - A lone voice in the wilderness...

Russell Kinder russmax at cowboy.net
Fri May 14 10:51:00 PDT 1999

> The Proctor is chosen by the simple majority of the current Guild
> roster. The vote is counted at a designated official Kingdom Calendar
> event, announced to all Guild Members at least one month in advance, in
> the Black Star or by newsletter, and by electronic communication. Proxy
> and absentia votes are recognized.

   After discussing some of this with my wife, I see some potential
problems with the wording "simple majority of the current Guild roster."

   The first problem is making sure that a majority of the current Guild
roster is represented at a Proctor election. Say the Guild has 40
members. Say 15 show up at the meeting or by proxy to elect the Proctor.
We can't do it. We need at least 21 votes.  If 30 people are represented
in person or by letter, the winner would still have to have support of
over 2/3 of those voting to become Proctor.

   The second problem is keeping the Guild roster current. People become
interested in other aspects of the SCA, losing interest in dance. People
move to other kingdoms. People quit playing SCA entirely. People die.
For various reasons, many names on the roster will not actually be
current Guild Members. In many cases the Proctor would have no way of
knowing if a member is still current.

   Perhaps we meant to say "simple majority of voting Guild Members." If
that's not what we meant to say, perhaps it's what we should say.

Guillaume