AD - A.G.E.D. Meeting at Elfsea Defender

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Thu Sep 16 13:17:07 PDT 1999

Russell Kinder (russmax at cowboy.net) said something that sounded like:
>    One may call it netiquette, but it's really just arbitrary constraint
> that I and perhaps other members of the list find inconvenient.

It is such poor taste that the main Ansteorran list does not allow them at
all. It filters them all out. It is not just a matter of netiquette. It is
also the fact that not everyone uses the same programs, thus may not be
able to read it. It is also that you take the size of the email message
and multiple it by the number of users to get the actual size that the
server must deal with.

> Now
> you're implying that you have a right to boot me, the acting Proctor of
> A.G.E.D. for posting messages that are intrinsic to communication within
> the Guild, in what I consider the most appropriate way.

I will not imply anything.

Yes, she has the power and right. If she has qualms about it, I can and
will if you do not follow your responsibility.

You have the responsibility to honor the wishes of the list administrators.
If you don't want to, you can unsubscribe or petition to me.

While this is a method to communicate with the Guild, this list is not
limited to the Guild.

> Once upon a
> time, it may have been true that attachments were unworkable on e-mail
> lists, but technology has certainly moved on.

This is true in one-on-one communication. In group information you still
work towards the lowest common demoniator when you want people to read
something. I honestly didn't bother reading the post because it was in a
format that my mail program did not recognize without an external
viewer.

As well, anyone who reads the archives gets garbage. Nothing but
garbage. As well, if the list ever generates enough traffic to warrant a
digest all they would get is garbage.

Ciao,

--
Richard "Pug" Bainter                 |          Globeset, Inc.
Manager of Information Services       |  1250 S. Capital of Tx Hwy, 1-300