AD - Re: Please help us decide what to teach at KDMW

Russell Kinder russmax at cowboy.net
Sun Apr 8 04:38:40 PDT 2001

Is there evidence that no styling (the way it's done now) is more authentic
than Spanish styling?

I guess what I'm saying is that if it still fits Negri's written
description, then it's a valid reconstruction, in much the same way that a
given blazon can be drawn differently, given heraldic styles of different
artists. The duck is still a duck, but it could be Donald or Howard.

I don't make the claim that Il Canario is a Spanish dance, after all. Negri
does. So, if some dancer was a performer of Canaries, and happened to go to
Spain and saw local dances performed a certain way, he might think about
adding some of that styling to his own version, to give it the feel of what
he *thinks* is its native land.

Guillaume