AD - Please help us decide what to teach at KDMW

Russell Kinder russmax at cowboy.net
Tue Feb 20 23:49:14 PST 2001

Ansteorran Dancers,

   My partner, Lady Isabeau Lallement, and I would like to teach two classes
at Kingdom Dance. Our problem is that we have so many really great dances we
would like to teach. I ask the members of this list to help us decide what
dances we should teach. Each of these dances would require a full 90 minute
class period (or more) to teach. These are the choices we present:

111111111111111111111111111111111111
La Volta and the Galliard
Intermediate to advanced level.
EXTREMELY AEROBIC, strong ankles and knees required. Partners preferred but
not necessary.

   Danced in the movies Shakespeare In Love & Elizabeth, La Volta is a high
energy dance that guarantees a good time for all. Along with galliards, we
will teach the step the dance focuses on: volte, during which the woman
leaps into the air as her man spins her around. The close body contact the
spins require in addition to flying skirts made the dance very shocking for
the courts of France and England, as well as extremely popular. In La Volta,
it was said, "There is always some pleasant sight." From Arbeau's
Orchesography.

    We performed this for A&S war point at Gulf Wars 2000.

2222222222222222222222222222222222222
Introduction to 16th Century Italian
Intermediate level.
   Using a simplified version of Caroso's Ballo del Fiore and then Negri's
Lo Spagnoletto, this gives an introduction to some 16th century Italian
dance steps.

3333333333333333333333333333333333333
Allegrezza d'Amore
Advanced level
   A 16th century Italian dance we have reconstructed together. For 3
dancers per set: a light, playful and very lively dance with quite an
assortment of nifty steps. From Caroso's Nobilta di Dame.

4444444444444444444444444444444444444
Brando di Cales
Advanced level
   A 16th century Italian dance that Lady Isabeau has reconstructed. It also
has a great variety of steps with numerous tempo changes, including pavan,
galliard, and courante rhythms. This is a very fun dance from Negri's Le
Gratie d'Amore.

   Performed by the Barony of Namron dancers at the Nov. 2000 Laurel's Prize
Tourney.

5555555555555555555555555555555555555
Introduction to Galliards
Intermediate level, aerobic, strong ankles and knees recommended.
   Learn the cinque passi di gagliarde. It's simple. 1-2-3-4 & 5. Right. But
it is very fun. We'll teach the basic 5-step, then see how many of the
galliard variations we can work in. Not all dance from the renaissance is
choreographed from the beginning note til the end. The galliard, like the
pavan, is one of the most popular renaissance dance styles. We will use
Arbeau and Negri as sources.

   Every SCA dancer should know how to galliard. Pisaro made his men
galliard around the ship deck, in their armor, every day on their journey to
the new world, to keep them in shape.

666666666666666666666666666666666666
So Ben Mi C'ha Buon Tempo (I know who's having a good time)
Advanced level. A bit aerobic.
   This is the one that hooked Isabeau and me on 16th century Italian dance.
It has choreographed pavan and galliard sections, and is very exciting for
both performer and audience. From Negri's Le Gratie d'Amore.

   Performed at Gulf Wars in 1999.

777777777777777777777777777777777777
Il Canario
Very advanced level. Strong ankles and knees recommended.
   If this is desired I will obtain Master Delbert von Strasbourg's
permission to teach his reconstruction of Il Canario. This dance paints a
scenario of flirting and seduction as the lord and lady alternate dancing
toward and away from each other. The man stamps his feet commandingly, and
the lady responds by tapping and gliding demurely. This would require two 90
minute sessions to teach, and no whining allowed. :-) From Negri's Le Gratie
d'Amore.

   Performed at Twentieth Year Celebration with HL Philip and HL Elin.

   Thank you for help in choosing what dances we should teach. At the time
we were practicing them, each of these was our favorite, so it is very hard
to decide. Please reply to this list, or to russmax at cowboy.net

HL Guillaume de Troyes
Lady Isabeau Lallement