[Anst-dancers] Minutes from A.G.E.D. Meeting...

Charlene Charette charlene at flash.net
Thu Jul 26 22:32:10 PDT 2001

Pug Bainter wrote:

> Hmmm. Squires and Cadets Invitational used to require dancing as one of
> the items. This has gone by the wayside. Maybe that is a good place to
> start again since it's a heavily attended event by that class of people.

Doesn't it still?  I know one year Squire's and Cadet's was against
Kingdom Dance so they were scrambling for teachers.  I think last year's
didn't include dance, but I think that was a one-time experiment (I'm
sure I'll be corrected if mistaken).

Which brings up one of my hot buttons.  At S&C the entrants are expected
to show up to the event knowing how to fight, having prepared an A&S
entry, having prepared a bardic piece, etc.  But for dance they show up
expecting to be taught.  Part of that may be because a dance is selected
for everyone and not everyone has the same resources to learn it (not to
mention all the local variations).

I did come up with a suggestion.  Dancers could be asked to bring a
dance, document it, and perform it.  As simple or fancy as they like.
This, however, would be more difficult on the judges (although easier on
the teachers -- often the same people, anyways).  I don't always make
this event (I'll spare you the details), but I've made the offer that if
such a format were used I would gladly come and help judge.

--Perronnelle

--
They got the library at Alexandria -- They're not getting mine.
=====
mailto:findbook at flash.net