[Anst-dancers] Re: Farandole (was AGED News)

Ariane & Morgan rendancers at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 17 11:39:34 PDT 2003

I found a discription for Farandole in Jeffery L. Singman's "Daily Life in
Chaucer's England.

It pretty much says what is in your hand out (more or less). It says that
the farandole is a type of carole. Concerning the music it says this:

"The carole may be danced to any music with a strong and lively beat, either
in a duple or a quick triple time. The music for the carole may be either
vocal or instrumental. If the music is vocal, it is important to remember
the singer's need for air [duh]. Either the dance should be slow enough not
to leave the singer breathless, or the singing should be done by several
people, or the singer should not actualy dance. The singer may accompany
herself on a tambourine (it seems to have been moe common for the music to
be sung by women than by men)."

It goes on to list 3 songs that would be good for this dance wich are in 6/8
&  shorter than Piper's version of Sumer is acomin in (12-16 measures as
opposed to 24), wich leads me to belive that any song could be used for this
dance. Having the dancers sing would be interesting.

The only problem with this is Mr. Singman did not give a reference to where
he aquired the dance from.

I just thought you Lords & Ladies would find that interesting.

Morgan Ellisse