[Anst-dancers] Dance at Pennsic

Craig Shupee' philipwhite at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 19 14:28:13 PDT 2003

Greetings Dancers:

I had a great time at Pennsic and am really happy to have see everyone.
There was lots of fun and lots of energy.  There were also allot of people
missing – who I hope to see again soon enough.

Here are some comments on what went on:

•	Extended dance tent was cool.  I really liked that we had more room for
the floor.  But, the sloop on the east side is hard to dance on.  I almost
prefer the barn floor to the dance tent floor for this reason.  Also, the
tent still gets crowded.  It’s nice during first week, because it makes it
seem like more people are there for dancing.  Also, it was a good place to
stay out of the continued rain.  But before I left, it felt like it was
getting a little too busy in there.  I was glad we moved stuff to the barn.

•	I missed allot of the dance parties, but what I made it too was fun.
Mistress Katriana’s party was cool, and had really good food.  The First
Coroso ball was fun because everyone got to dance as much as they wanted –
though it did seem like there were not that many people there.

•	Wolgemut played Sunday night.  Partially in support of their new cd
comprised of bransles… Who’d have thought that doing bransles for 2 hours
straight could be fun, but I’m defiantly a convert.  They did also play
Goddesses (unfortunately twice through…) but not much else.  It was tiring
strenuous dance.  But completely exhilarating.  The dancers were at a
fevered pitch and the barn was packed with tons of people just watching.  It
felt like a rock concert with the mosh pit people dancing bransles.  I
wanted to pull out a lighter and sway back and forth.  It was fun! ;-)

•	I got asked to lead dance allot – that was fun.  Mainly, people wanted to
start doing new Balli other than just the basic five: Rostiboli, Amaroso,
Anello, Gelosia, and Petit Riens.  People kept wanting to do Belfiore during
the first week of dance (I wasn’t there second week).  I was pleasantly
surprised at its growing popularity and its potential to enter the regular
dance repertoire.  Though it’s an easy and fun dance with recordings
available, it is still something challenging for musicians to play.  So if
you ask for it, make sure your musicians review it with you first. We did
well, but still had a couple false starts, especially with larger groups.
(Its got allot of time signature changes and an irregular repeat structure
which can be confusing to musicians not familiar with the tune). We also did
Vita di Cholino and Voltate in ca Rosina a couple times.  There was enough
interest that I did an impromptu class in my camp the first Friday
afternoon, and people even stopped to join including the Queen of Trimaris.
It wasn’t planned, but fun.

That’s all for now, and looking forward to next time!
~Philip White