[Anst-dancers] DFT Yule and Dance

Ariane & Morgan rendancers at cox.net
Tue Dec 9 21:21:19 PST 2003

Oh, Yes, that is a good recording of the song! Thank you for helping make it
avalable to the public, in case anyone does not have a recording. Please
thank the BG music Guild too! I first heard it on the Negri CD (wich should
be on every Negri fan's CD wish list).

> Jonathan Brumley (BG music guild leader) said it was based on Samuel
> Piper's 4-part arrangement of the tablature to start with.

Is that the chap that taught the recorder class at the last Kingdom Dance?
If so, he is superb (but then again, all the musicians on that recording
are).

> But I think they
> also used music from the Negri CD, and I also showed him where the
> facsimile and lute tablature was. Since he plays plenty of early music (is
> in Istanpitta, plays concerts in town, involved with the Texas Early Music
> project, and goes to the Amherst festival), I trusted his arrangement. :)

As far as I can tell, the music is somewhat consistant with Kendal's
transcription. As for the repeats, Hendrix's version does not have the
repeat structure indicated (Like what Avatar puts in his book, for example:
AABB x 3). Since he does not dance (form what I know), it is perfectly
understandable that he does not know the repeats for most dance music. Other
than that, he is a genius!!! His versions of various dance tunes have been
the most reliable (along with Master Avatar, of course).

> Btw, how did you know about Samuel Piper's arrangement? Is it online? I
> assume Jonathan got it because Samual was the ex BG music leader.

I have the music from Piper's "Italian Dances of the Renaissance" Book, but
you can get it from:
http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/
I would recamend using the Music Search Engine:
http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Music/
because there is a lot of stuff on that web site.

> Here's the Bryn Gwlad Music Guild's recording. I think they started with
> the alto/tenor line and the main melody doesn't come up till midway:
> http://www.ianthe.org/dance/gratioso.mp3

I noticed that the recording on your web site repeats 7 times, right? The
recording by Ensemble La Follia repeats 5 times. In Kendal's translation it
says the music is in two parts (A & B respectively) and repeated twice per
section of the dance (which is three times). That would mean that the music
is repeated 6 times (AABB x3)....so I am a bit confused...though, I may not
have that right (since I am not an expert, that is possable).

Are you going to be at Steps' 12th Night? And if you are can you teach us
this dance? Since you never know how many people will show up from practice
to practice (at least with ours), these 3 person dances are good for those
odd number classes.

Morgan