[Anst-dancers] Choosing a time to start running/teaching dance

Russell Kinder russmax at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 15 13:39:19 PDT 2003

Okay, I picked through the e-mails and found a discussion going on.
Here are some of my thoughts.

In areas where dance happens, there is certainly not a shortage of
dance teachers. There are at least 5 people who are capable of running
dance in the Houston Area, 5 people in the DFW area (6 when Helene
returns), 4 or 5 in the OKC/Norman area. In Austin, there are also 4 or
5 or 6 people as well.

The people who have a real challenge are currently in Stillwater, San
Antonio, College Station, and all the other places that would like to
have dance, or where there is only one teacher --- but this will all be
in a seperate post.

I see a few instances in which people start leading dance naturally:

a) they move to a new group that has no dance
b) they know more about dance than the current dance teacher
c) a dance teacher steps aside and lets a student start running the
local practice

We've encouraged (and I was encouraged to teach - although I will admit
I don't actually like teaching) teachers by first getting them involved
with some kind of performance practice, second by encouraging them to
do a reconstruction, or at least read a few dance resources, and then
teach a class at a collegium. At that point, I think it's safe to say
they are prepared for running balls, running dance practice, etc.

Another method is to have one of your great dancers teach basics, or
choreographies, while you get more involved personally with individual
students. At the moment, these are duties Guillaume and I see-saw on
during practice. We take turns, depending on how much of a voice we
have.

I think that any event is a good time for people to start running
balls. I think if you are helping a new dance teacher, it best works if
you know them fairly well, and have danced with them before. It makes
that person feel more comfortable in a high-stress situation.

Also, events with a more dance-friendly attitude are much better for
these folks.

For a brand new teacher, I don't think the rather everything-but-dance
atmosphere of Ansteorra is the best place to break them in. Even the
best of us sometimes fail to get dance going at events (think of Miguel
and Connell's coronation - wasn't it just 4 people?, or recently Namron
Protectorate - we had about 6-8) It would have to be somebody that was
very ready, extremely enthusiastic, and prepared for a let down.

Personally, I'd much rather run a ball where dance is guaranteed to
happen, you have musicians, and experienced dancers (Known World Dance,
Kingdom Dance, Gulf Wars, Pennsic). Who cares about more experienced
dance leaders observing you? If they want things done differently, they
should volunteer to run dance themselves. It's not like there is a
shortage of capable folks at these events.

I have more I could say, but I think that's enough for one post.

Isabeau