[Anst-dancers] Resurrecting dance in Ansteorra

Debbie Spangler paperdol at wt.net
Thu Jun 12 06:20:27 PDT 2003

Good gentles,

Guillaume--wonderful thoughts that echo my own sentiments.

In essence, we have only partially re-created when we have had events with
competitions, fighting, courts and feasts--but no dancing. We have bards and
musicians perform during the feasts (and sometimes musicians play quietly
during court) but dancing is lacking. When did the dancing take place in
Medieval/Renaissance times? Where can we fit it in our events? Perhaps we
need to present dance during an event to show Ansteorra how it could work
into MOST all events. Is it possible to start with Coronation?

As far as dances that interest the populace: Half Hannikin, Gathering
Peascods, Goddesses, and Whirligig usually always draw a crowd on the dance
floor. With the exception of Whirligig all are easy to pick up quickly. Some
of the bransles attract a crowd. I personally have found that Ballo del
Fiore is not the better dance.  Ones like Rostiboli, Amoroso and Villanella
are (and of course, Petit Vriens).

Maybe we need to take practice to fighter practices. Another item that's big
with my dance guild: Every other month I hold a Caroso-like ball--and I
always get a big attendance that day! It's Caroso-like because we don't have
that many lords dancing to separate the two. I really enjoyed the Caroso
ball at Knowne World.

Just my tuppence,

Signy