[Anst-dancers] Resurrecting dance in Ansteorra

Nadine Latief nl33 at cornell.edu
Thu Jun 12 07:42:55 PDT 2003

Good stuff, Guillaume.

My own thoughts:
The Bryn Gwlad Guild has been doing -relatively- okay. We vary between
around 8 dancers or so, which makes it convenient for a 4 couple ECD dance.
Ever since I took over this year, I don't remember ever having less then 4
people. But partly it's because I have very faithful regulars who love
dancing.

There's been a resurgence of dance interest at Bryn Gwlad events. In our
next Fall Baronial event, the stewards want a dance of 6 young girls at
court, and since the theme has Henry's 6 queens, the queen's are supposed
to do some dancing. There's dancing at Myfanwy's Yule Revel, and a dance
track planned for Charles's Candlemas as well as a Ball. 2 of those 3
events have dancemasters stewarding them, and the other one has people
interested in promoting dance in the barony. This past week alone I've 2
people come up to me saperately about teaching dance before Fighter
Practice. This is quite irregular. :) Thank you KWD!

The dancers in Bryn Gwlad are very much integrated into the rest of the
Barony. My problem is mainly a lack of capable dancers willing to be dance
teachers because they're so busy doing other things (one of my most
talented members is in Morocco for the summer). I think I'm goign to start
poking them to teach more :)

Regional dance practices is good, because I get to do more dances that I
like and they can be inspiring. Look at what KWD has done for our own
Kingdom dance interests. As for the problem of dancers being a sub
mainstream, I can point you to Pennsic, where people feel the same way.
It's society-wide. I'm not sure what the solution is, besides making sure
the people in control are dancers, socializing and politizing more? Or come
to events where they are dance and support it. So we have more then 3
people teaching at King's College, more then 6 people showing up at events
with dance.

Just my 2 continenzas,
Lowrie.