[Anst-dancers] Resurrecting dance in Ansteorra

Scot and Michelle Henry cshenry at ev1.net
Thu Jun 12 13:35:41 PDT 2003

So, just to stir the pot.

HOw many dancers are planning on attending Midsummer's Masque in Lindenwood?
I now it's been highly disappointing in the past, but it would be a good
place to continue making the effort to dance at events.
I have chosen to go to Lilies so will be unable to attend, but I will
encoureage my students to attend.  They are not at the point of running
dance, nor is their repertoire very extensive since we have such a small
group, but they are willing especially if someone is there to lead them.
There were a lot of "old-time" Steppes dancers at the event Saturday, so
maybe the Masque will get a large crowd.  I know many of these have switched
over to middle eastern and attended our peasant dance class en masse.  So
they are obviously interested in the social aspects of dance.  I know there
are several dance "games" available which could fill the place of HITW":
Jenny Pluck Partners, Del's HOrses' Bransle, Il Piantone/The Pinwheel,
L'Caccia d'Amore, I'd even throw in Farandole to name but a few.  These
require larger numbers of people than most of us get, but if a few solid
people know them, it's not hard to get a whole crowd dancing them at an
event.
groups I've been in have also taken to "sharking: into Whirligig, Black Nag,
Picking of Sticks, Anello, Rostiboli, Petit Vriens, and just about any other
dance we can think of.  That was a big part of what HITW fun to many people.
We can encourage this and spark interest at the same time showing that not
all dance has to be taken so seriously.  I think we also need to incorporate
the concept that dancing itself was a time for socializing.  Every group
I've danced with has spent lots of time on steps, but not on styling or on
talking while dancing.  It's a skill that needs to be taught.  Yes this will
mean teaching the differenct between when dance is meant to be a performance
and when it isn't, but I think people can grasp that pretty easily.

I'm really excited at all the traffic I'm seeing on the list the past couple
of days.  Keep sending your ideas and communicating.  I'll see what I can
organize after I return from Lilies.

In service,
Melissent the Capricious
(New Dance Proctor - EEK!! ;-) )