[Anst-dancers] Dance Manual Question and 25 Year

Russell Kinder russmax at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 1 14:01:03 PST 2003

On Saturday, November 1, 2003, at 12:44  PM, Miriam Robinson Gould
wrote:
> I know that I am coming into this discussion later than most and so am
> not aware of all of the discussions that have happened about the
> manual.  Has there been a discussion about what the criteria are for
> the standards that a reconstruction should meet to be included in the
> manual?  If not, then it seems like that's something that should
> happen so that inclusion is not just based on one or two
> editor-in-chiefs' opinions.  If so, are those criteria posted
> anywhere?  I have some thoughts, but I don't want to suggest anything
> that's already been discussed.

Probably the best way is to look at the format of the manual now. Much
of it is on the web page in html form.

http://dance.ansteorra.org

>> OK, this is not a guild issue. This is not a guild project. Whose
>> reconstruction of La Caccia we'll be doing at 25th year is not up for
>> debate. Isabeau has been asked to coordinate dance by the people
>> running the event. We told people several months ago our intention to
>> perform La Caccia at 25th year.
>
> I don't save e-mails so I can't check this, but my impression from
> Isabeau's post a few days ago was that she was looking to see if the
> guild was interested in doing guild-labeled performances, including La
> Caccia D'Amore. It sounds now that this was a misread on my part, and
> that the two of you are planning on doing this dance as a non-guild
> performance and she was checking for interest in doing other
> performances?  Is this correct, Isabeau?  I don't think anyone is
> being spiteful or trying to steal your dance in suggesting using the
> Sutton version, merely thinking of ways to standardize practice of a
> performance in a group that's too geographically separated for
> rehearsals.  However, if it's just you and Isabeau and your students
> doing La Caccia, then it's not an issue.

In a way that's true. The gist was, "Would the Guild be interested in
putting on Guillaume's reconstruction of La Caccia at 25th year?" Some
said yes. Some had no opinion. Someone said, "What about doing a
different reconstruction, like Julia Sutton's, since it's on a video."
or words to that effect. Then it became, "Does anyone else have a
reconstruction of La Caccia we could use?"  At that point it begins to
sound like, "We want to do that dance, but please, anyone's
reconstruction but Guillaume's." I just wanted to make clear that who
is doing La Caccia is the question, not whose reconstruction are we
doing. If the guild is not interested in my reconstruction, I have a
large dance class with many good dancers. I think the discussion
started back in the spring before we started our dance class in
Steppes. At that point, the guild was my only option.

If the Guild doesn't want to do my La Caccia reconstruction, no hard
feelings. We still want the Guild to do performances at 25th year of
whatever else everyone would like to do.

>> A nice performance idea for the guild would be to showcase each local
>> group's research and efforts. Each would present a performance of a
>> new
>> reconstruction or choreography that they have researched and
>> practiced.
>
> This is the type of thing I was suggesting would be feasible in the
> type of format that we did in Carolingia.  Philip's (I think it was
> Philip) suggestion of a ball with a historical dance theme would work
> nicely.  For ours, the theatrical element was very very simple--not
> scripted, and not really rehearsed.  But having the individual dances
> tied together by a bit of simple theatre gave a unifying frame, which
> would be particularly good if we were looking to advance awareness of
> the guild through the program because then it can be an Ansteorra
> Dance Guild Performance (or showcase).

This is a very nice idea, and a good example of what can be done within
the framework of a geographically spread out dance guild. Everyone
works up dance routines in their local groups, then the Guild supplies
a theme or theatrical framework for presenting all these performances
in an interesting way. This could be the best dance performance at an
event Ansteorra has ever seen.

Guillaume de Troyes