[Anst-dancers] Yule Revel

Deborah Sweet dssweet at okstate.edu
Mon Nov 3 12:23:41 PST 2003

H.L. Celeste said:
>I love Dargasson. That's a fun dance ... I didn't
>realize the refrain had words though! Neat!

There's also words for the verses. Check out the Baltimore Consort's CD
"Bright Day Star" a collection of christmas oriented songs and dances.
It's at home, but I think the song is listed under "Hey for Christmas" not
Dargasson. The words get more and more cramped for space/time and
idiomatic/"accented" so the verses are pretty hard to do to at dancing
speed - but the refrain works quite well. I sang it while learning
Trahern's version of Dargasson at KWDS this summer.

I left out a couple of words. It should be:

"Hey for Christmas every year when we have cakes both ale and beer
and to our Christmas' party come both men and maids to shake their
bums...."

Estrill