[Anst-dancers] Re: Flag-Twirling

Miriam Robinson Gould madame_sosostris at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 6 11:42:11 PDT 2003

<snip>

>Here is nice page about it -
>Sbandieratory Sansepolcro - http://www.flagshow.com/ingl.htm
>
>It is really difficult to find much about the history excepting that it
>dates
>back to the Renaissance.

Have you tried asking any fencers who work with period fencing manuals if
they've seen anything about it?  I haven't seen any references to it in
period Italian dance manuals, but the link that you gave described it as
codified in fencing manuals and considered as a martial art.

And since this is my first post, I guess it's time to introduce myself.  :)
I have been dancing Renaissance dancing for a really long time now.  I
danced for four years in Carolingia, then moved to the Barony of
Windmaster's Hill in Atlantia.  I ran the dance practice there for two or
three years (*grin* can't quite remember) and then last year moved to
Bryn-Gwlad, where I have happily been able to simply dance while Lady Lowrie
runs the practice.

In service,

Sayidda Tahira bint Ibrahim al-Ishbiliyya