[Anst-dancers] FAS- Dance Business

Deborah Sweet dssweet at okstate.edu
Tue Oct 28 15:14:56 PST 2003

Perronnelle said:

6.  Kingdom Dance Symposium.
>Both of these were mentioned -- in summer and bi-annually opposite of
KWDS.

>The main reason that KWDS is every other year is that there are so few
>instructors at that level an every year event would burn them out too
>quickly.  We discussed that this wasn't a problem at the kingdom level
>and an every year dance event would be good.  Dissenting opinions
welcomed.

Well, I'll have to say that, if my options are going to a KWDS or going to
a Kingdom dance symposium, I'd much rather go to the KWDS, if possible. So
I'd rather not have to chose between them. I also just think that if the
kingdom event was every year it would get old quick. And it's not like
there wouldn't be other opportunities to teach dance - King's College, the
intermed College, collegium events like winterkingdom, etc. also have the
possibility of offering dance instruction. And while burnout of
instructors may not happen, it's actually the burnout of our supporting
cadre of friends - ie, potential event stewards, gatekeepers, etc. We
really need to get as many of *them* to actually run the event so that the
dance instructors can do just that and not be bogged down by event crises.

>OTOH, Ihon liked the idea of summer because it's too darn hot for outside
events.

My feelings exactly! And it's just easier traveling in the summer instead
of winter.

Estrill