[Anst-dancers] Fall Arts Symposium - Dance Business

Russell Kinder russmax at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 31 00:32:19 PST 2003

Dancers,

Since Isabeau, Ariane, and I are doing 99% of the work on the manual,
and we weren't actually at this meeting, I'm not sure how to take items
2. Dance Manual, and 3. Dance Website.

I've decided that we have 2 alternatives. The first is to resign
Isabeau and myself as Dance Manual compilers and web scribes. The
second is to go on as we have been doing, taking all your discussion
under advisement.

Many of the things mentioned are good suggestions. Some of them are, in
fact, how we are doing it already. Some of the items are things that
will not be implemented, so long as Isabeau and I are doing these 2
projects. It may be that we disagree that they should be done. It may
be that it is not feasible, given the time constraints. So bear in mind
that we are definitely open to suggestions on how these projects should
be done, but we have the final say in how it will be done. This is
simply because we are, in fact, the ones doing it.

If the proctor thinks we should be relieved of this duty, then she is
free to do that. The web-site would be passed on to the new web scribe
pretty much intact. Isabeau has done an amazing amount of work on the
website, and if that is not appreciated, then her time could be better
spent on other things.

I doubt that I would have the same attitude about the manual. If we're
not in charge of producing the Ansteorra dance manual, then I don't
think I will allow my previous manual to be used as the basis for the
new one. If everyone thinks the Terpsichore manual is so great, then
that might be a good start for the Ansteorra manual.

It serves my purposes equally well, whether the manual has "Ansteorra"
written on its cover, or it's simply my own dance manual.

I haven't really had proper time to decide which of the items in the
minutes of the A.G.E.D. meeting we will and won't be implementing, but
I would be happy to discuss those things in person the next time I meet
with each of you.

I think the thing I most object to is allowing other parties to have
edit priveleges to the website. This is simply not how good websites
are done. There is too much potential for damage to be done and for
people to get upset. If people desire membership entry forms to be
programmed, then we will find someone to do it according to our exact
specifications. They will work through us, and we will add the forms to
the site after we are satisfied with the work. That person could be
Lowrie, but it might work better if it was someone we have more contact
with.

Please know that I think it ill-advised to plan and hold a meeting
knowing well in advance that the principle parties involved will not be
able to attend. It seems to me that the meeting was planned because it
was known we could not come.

To change topic slightly, regarding copyright: This is a very important
issue. When it was my own manual, it really wasn't an issue. Some
dances were the reconstructions of others, but what I put in the manual
was from memory, after learning the dance. Full attribution was given,
and that was really all that was necessary (so long as I'm not asking
for money beyond cost of copying or getting paid for the performances).
And I had permission, anyway. However, when people send me written
reconstructions of dances, and all I'm changing is the formatting, then
I think it's fair to say I need a release form signed.

I've served a total of three years as a newsletter editor in
Mooneschadowe, so I know the importance of copyright & release forms.

So that's my 2 pence on this past weekend's meeting of A.G.E.D.

Guillaume