[Anst-dancers] Dance Manual

Ariane & Morgan rendancers at cox.net
Fri Oct 31 03:01:57 PST 2003

on 10/31/03 2:32 AM, Russell Kinder at russmax at sbcglobal.net wrote:

> If everyone thinks the Terpsichore manual is so great, then
> that might be a good start for the Ansteorra manual.

Yuck! I hate reading this manual (Terpsichore). This book is a nightmare to
teach from. Maybe if you have done the dance before and just need a glance
over to make sure you remember (Hey, is that not unlike the books that
Playford published on dance?), but even then it is REALY HARD TO READ.

Nope, I will stick with the format that works for us, even if it is
inconvienent to hold an 8 1/2" x 11" Book instead of a 3" x 6" one. I think
the best systems to describe a dance are the ones use in these books:

€ "The Renaissance Dance book" (by Bernard Thomas & Jane Gingell)
€ "Celeste Giglio" (by Dorothée Wortelboer)
€ "The Playford Ball" (by Vate Van Winkle Keller & Genevieve Shimer)

This is how Guillaume has done this book, just like those three (except he
has replaced "messures/Bars" with "counts"). I find it accurate and
non-cluttering.

Despite the fact that we make refference to about 8 or more books during our
class (yes, we lug about two bags to class every week), we still use
Guillaume's book the most.

That is my two pence. Happy Halloween everyone!

Morgan Ellisse

After seeing the new layout for the manual (Ariane has done a mock-up of the
first 8 pages) I am even more inclined to use the book that Guillaume and
Isabeau are putting together over something like Terpsichore.