[Anst-dancers] FAS - Dance Business (Long)

Deborah Sweet dssweet at okstate.edu
Fri Oct 31 14:08:43 PST 2003

Myfanwy said:
>I believe it was so that there were two events on opposite ends
>of the kingdom close together so that everybody could potentially
>make one of them.  I don't believe it is expected for everybody to
>make both, it just allows for the opportunity to hear from as many
>of the members as possible.

I think that's a pretty good idea to remember: either schedule a meeting
at a central location or else schedule two meetings back to back on either
end of the kingdom. The *proctor* becomes travel weary......

>The problem that I see is that this "Kingdom of Ansteorra" dance
>manual is being done and
<snip>
>but yet they didn't ask the guild if the guild wanted it, they
>just said they were doing it.

Well, if you go back and read the Charter it states that:

"The primary purpose of our guild is to promote the learning, teaching and
performance of medieval, renaissance, and original and commonly performed
SCA dances. This guild shall achieve those purposes by facilitating
communication between existing dance guilds, assisting any local group in
forming a dance guild, maintaining a roster of dance teachers throughout
the Kingdom, producing and updating a Kingdom dance manual, providing and
updating a discography, producing dance tapes and-or compact discs,
encouraging research in medieval, renaissance and SCA dances, recognizing
excellence in dance teaching, and recognizing excellence in dance
performance."

So the "producing and updating a Kingdom dance manual" has always been
there from the first (ie, when Guillaume was Proctor).

Personally, I'm just not convinced that we really need a kingdom dance
manual - we should encourage those really interested in dance to support
the *modern* products out there. I've got my own (sadly out of date)
manual that exists in a three ring binder - one dance a page, preferably,
all alphabetical.

Estrill