[Anst-dancers] Fall Arts Symposium/ Guild Meeting?

Craig Shupee' philipwhite at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 9 08:30:48 PDT 2003

Greetings,

I was hoping to drum up some attendance from the dance community for the
Fall Arts Symposium on October 25th held by the Canton of Loch Ruadh.  The
event is at the UTA campus in the same rooms as KWDMS IV.  The event is also
free - which is really cool for them to do.

Website: http://moas.ansteorra.org/MOASEvents.htm

A couple of us (see Lowrie and me) are offering dance classes that aren't
the usual run of the mill "I teach you x reconstruction."  I'd like to get
some support on my class especially, because  I think the more people who
come, the better the class will work.

Also, this might be a good chance for a guild meeting, since it is an arts
event and centrally located.  This is also a couple months before the
proposed printing date of the Ansteorran Dance Manual - so this again is
good timing.

Caprcia? Comments?  Just an idea.

Thanks!  Hope y'all can make it.

~Philip

Here are the class descriptions for dance at Fall Arts:

1018 - Reconstructing Dance –  H.L. Philip White
Beyond learning dances by rote, you can learn where dance choreographies
come from.  We will examine primary source material and begin understanding
how extant step and dance descriptions combined with pictorial evidence are
transformed into performable dances.  We will discuss the importance of
facsimiles, Transcriptions, translations, tabulations, concordances, and
music.  This will be applied to primary and secondary resources.  We will
consider the benefit of reconstructing dances already common to the SCA and
learn how reconstructing unknown dances is important to the success of  the
dance community within the Society.  This class is open to all, but a firm
understanding of most Renaissance dance style is conductive to class
participation and will allow you to benefit from the full potential of this
class.  Actual physical dance will be limited, primarily aiding possible
discussion material.
Length:  1 hr	Fee:  none	Registration:  unlimited
Supplies:  bring primary and secondary documents, class handouts, cd’s,
tapes, recent reconstructions

1021 - Sixteenth Century Italian Dance Steps Roundtable – Lady Lowrie Leulyn
A discussion of Negri’s and Caroso’s step descriptions.  We will go over
what the manuscripts say about doing 16th c. steps, bring your original
manuscripts if you’ve any.  Afterwards, we’ll learn Laccio d’Amore from Il
Ballarino to put the step descriptions into practice.
Time:  1 ½ hrs	Fee:  none	Registration:  unlimited	Supplies:  none